Monday, April 14, 2008

Loooong Day + Slug + Shark Fin Soup





I learned a few things about Chinese time today and it it quite different - one person from each family was supposed to meet downstairs and then go and exchange $ (actually a fair amount of $) - it was supposed to take a only a short time - when I got to the bank I realized I had forgotten my passport - ran back across the park to the hotel up 29 floors got my passport - back down 29 floors - across the park - nothing had happened - everyone was still there waiting, and waiting, ... it took 2+ hours to process each of our transactions I was the last person - count the 100s, recount the 100s', check the passports, pass the $ through a machine to make sure it wasn't counterfeit, put the Chinese $ in a counting machine (twice), then triple stamp a bunch of forms then over to me to count then over to the CCAI rep for the orphanage fee - multiply by sevarl people. Then this afternoon we met as a group - we were going to process the paperwork that basically means Emma is no longer a Chinese citizen - it was supposed to take an hour - we got there and sat around and around and around - the whole thing took about 2.5 hours - babies started crying - parents were getting antsy - they actually performed a little presentation where we were asked a series of questions stating that we would care for our baby and not abuse her or abandon her - they handed us a little metal plate in a wooden box with a saying - "With our very best sincere wish that everything will turn out to be what you hoped" and Mountain city-chongqing Lives in my heart forever. We were told they had never done this ceremony before - we sat in a room as each family was called to the front - asked the questions - thumbprints in red ink - pictures and after all this the result is that Emma is no longer a citizen of China - she is not a citizen of the US until we set foot back in the states. Somewhere in the middle of all this we 'gave' gifts to the notary officials - can't give cash but they expect you to provide gifts of thanks. After all this we only had a short amount of time to eat dinner before a doctor was coming to check on all the babies. We ate at the buffet downstairs - I tried braised sea slug, shark fin soup, fried cartilage, fried crad (crab), a seashell thing (actually in the shell - one of those spiral types that you get out of the river), and a fried 'shrimp' that looked more like a fried sea monster thing. I didn't have the nerve to try the more exotic dishes - maybe tomorrow. I walked through part of the underground city beneath our hotel - bizarre - there were many restaurants, lights, people bustling, discos, shopping, and then downstairs a grocery store that was like a super Walmart with all sorts of interesting items - I bought some shrimp chips to try and 2 Chinese beers + some coke light (diet). Emma's checkup didn't reveal much - she is ok - no major issues. When I got back to the room Eileen showed me there were about 150 people or more exercising or dancing down in the park below us - kind of like a slow version of the Electric Slide (booga looga). Emma is getting more and more responsive - I played with her on a blanket and she laughed with or at me, she grabbed her rattle and shook it and she cooed a lot more. She fell asleep easily again this evening but just woke up and cried pretty hard - until now she has been very meek with only little whimpers - this was the biggest cry yet - it lasted for only a few minutes and she is back asleep. Oh yeah, we did find out from the orphanage director that there are a couple of the children in our group that were sleeping near where Emma slept at the orphange - Alexandra Brown and Chloe Beach. Pictures - presentation, Emma with orphange director, nannie, driver (the gentleman who handed Emma to us the day before), Emma's closest crib mates from the orphanage and finally dinner

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is impossible to see the picture of you two with Emma and without my eyes welling up with tears of joy and relief! The one with Eileen holding Emma and looking up (to heaven?) and Andy looking on proudly cannot be described in words. Somehow thayt single picture captures 2.5 years worth of feelings in a single image. Congratulations! I showed Danny "Baby Emma's" picture and told him that she is finally here. He said, "I wanna hold her." I have a feeling it will be a while before anyone can pry that angel out of her parents' arms.

Buzz and Kim said...

The picture of the two of you when you held Emma for the first time on Gotcha Day really brought back the memories. They all came flooding back!!! I think I had the same look and "head tilt" that Eileen had when Adalyne was put into my arms for the first time. What a feeling that was. As far as the food, I hope you get to experience the fish head staring up at you as we did...that was the most bazaar and grotesque thing I have ever seen! I am so happy for the four of you. You are all blessed, but most of all, it is Emma that is Blessed most of all!!!! Love you.